Monday, August 29, 2011

Peas and Elderberry Jelly...

Wow, this year hasn't been a productive year as far as our garden goes but we put up a few things anyway. Fortunately, neighbors sharing and the farmer's market made up for what we lacked.

Today is the last day as far as "putting up" for this year. I blanched some purple hull peas and set them out to cool and dry before bagging them up for the freezer.



Next, I got the elderberries we'd gathered along the roadside out of the freezer to make into jelly.



Here's the recipe that I use from TennZen's blog.

I put the berries in a stockpot, covered them with water (just enough to cover the berries), and simmered for 15 minutes. Then I strained the juice into a bowl by pouring through a colander lined with a damp flour sack towel. I don't have a true muslin jelly bag and I find that cheesecloth is too porous and flimsy. Flour sack towels work quite well and they can be easily tied up and hung for the juice to drip.

I ended up with about 3 1/2 cups of juice - just perfect for my jelly recipe:

Elderberry Jelly
3 1/2 c. elderberry juice
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
5 1/2 c. sugar

Stir elderberry juice, lemon juice and pectin together. Bring to a full rolling boil. Add sugar and return to full rolling boil. Boil exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam and pour hot jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint jars. Place hot caps on jars and screw on bands finger-tight. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Yield: 5-6 half pints

I had about a cup of juice leftover so I made a pint of elderberry syrup for when we have colds this winter. It has so much vitamin C it's as good as Tamiflu!



Speedbump, Corrie and Violet are enjoying the weather that's not so hot.



As you know, the stick game rages on!



So now all I have left for today is laundry and cooking supper! Blessings to you all from the holler...

7 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Good that the pups can have fun while you are so busy. That is a lot of work, but we are sure you will be very happy you did it in the winter when you are enjoying the fruits (and veggies) of your labor.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

cowgirl said...

Your jelly looks fantastic Mrs JP! I bet it will be tasty this winter.
Hope you have a great week. :)

Mia said...

I've been hearing alot about elderberry lately..I'll have to try some myself! Thanks for sharing your recipe ;)

~Mia

Maxmom said...

How I would love to spend time with you in your kitchen...I am sure I'd learn a thing or two :) Inspirational...thank you! (Don't have elderberries here, otherwise I'd give it a go.)
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA

Paula said...

*YUMMY* Purple hulls and cornbread sound so good right now... and I can picture the elderberry jelly on a big ol' buttery biscuit. Thanks~ now I'm hugry. :)
Ahhh... the stick game... too fun. I hope you all are getting some cooler weather~ it's been nice here the past few days!

Cindy said...

I alway smile when I hear the phrase, "putting up" as it reminds me of how my mom spoke about canning, making jam, etc. I have one sister who still uses the term. It is such a satisfying feeling when you finish these tasks. That jelly looks good! Did you ever finish that elderberry wine you made last year?
The dog look as happy as clams!

Anonymous said...

As usual you stay busy as a bee. I take pleasure in working and "putting up" my produce from my garden too. When it is cold and snowy outside, I just open the ole' freezer and take out green beans, corn, and maybe okra to go with whatever meat I am making for the night. Of course there are apples, strawberries and blueberries in my freezer too for a dessert whenever I like. Betty - from Goosepond