Friday, July 17, 2009

Scrappy goes walk-a-bout...

JP and I discussed what we should call this post. My vote was "WANTED...ALIVE!!"
Yesterday, our dear little felon decided to give me a couple hundred more gray hairs. I let the dogs in and was on the computer for a while (1st mistake was I didn't count dogs as they came in) then started to get ready to go into town. No Scrappy! I double checked her hiding places inside, still no Scrappy. I went outside and found where she had pulled some wire away from the bottom of a shed that is in our "dog yard" which was her escape route. I jumped in the truck and started looking for her, going up and down our road, talking to two neighbors and asking them to look out for her. Approximately 45 min- 1 hr. went by and still no Scrappy. So I called JP and I was totally freaking out! Just ask him. My dear hubby jumps in his car (50 miles away) and comes home to help with the search. Meanwhile, I'm still driving up and down our road and the crossroads nearby hoping she hadn't gone to the interstate (we don't have an exit here but we can see the highway.) Oh, JP was going to go one exit farther than usual to make sure he didn't see her on the interstate. Sooooooo,,,I made another trip down our road and went by a nearby dairy farm, turned around to come back, when I got back to the corner of our road there she was. She was soaked (probably from running in the creek), and waging her little nub of a tail. I jumped out and got her - it was one of those moments where I could have kissed her and killed her at the same time. So I called JP just as he had made it to his exit, he came by the house and then went back to work. I heard that there was talk at JP's workplace of what a scrappycam would've looked like as she made her way under the building to the front yard and realized "I'm outta here"!
This is the guilty party.
So, this isn't over, I have to fix this area so she can't get out again because she will try. I put up chicken wire along the base of the building securing it at the building and at ground level. We've got a stalach 13 (probably not spelled right but you know the Hogan's Heros place) look going on (all but razor wire and I thought about that!) Even now, she's sitting at the door plotting her next escape. Bad girl!!!


Addendum from JP: It wouldn't be so bad if we thought she could find her way back, but when she gets out, she runs so far, so fast, that she has no idea where she is when she slows down. She almost wound up sleeping with the coyotes last night...

6 comments:

Carmen S. said...

So glad your Scrappy is home safe and sound!It does look as though something is being plotted at the door though.....

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Scrappy you bad girl! You scared your mommy and daddy to death! Please don't do that EVER again. They just don't want you to get hurt.

Mrs. JP, I totally know what you are talking about when you saw here. You wanted so bad to yell at her but you were overwhelmed with joy. Of course she probably looked at you like:"What? I was only gone for a little while and I know what I'm doing"

Mrs. JP said...

You're right YD. My brother said "she was probably planning to be home before supper!"

Oh, I forgot to tell you she has a long list of Prior Offenses of flight risk!

cowgirl said...

So glad to hear she is home safe and sound! I bet a Scrappycam video would be very interesting. lol :)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Luckyly both Samantha & June are not "escapees". They would wonder around but they won't run. Samantha was trained when she was little to always stay by us, so she wouldn't go far. June "got off" the leash(it was a long rope that we tied to a tree, the hook came off) one time but she was only right next door(which I didn't know because I thought for sure she would have ran somewhere else).

Lena said...

Oh Scrappy - you just wanted a little adventure, didn't ya? Well, just remember to leave a note next time! Your mum and dad love you lots and would really like to know beforehand the next time you choose to escape.

I'm so glad you found her!