Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just outside our door...

Today has been a truly blessed day in the holler. Nothing uncommon, but still, the things I'm privileged to see humbles me. God has given us a lovely place to live, and we are blessed beyond measure. I'm so thankful that JP is "off the road." He has a very stressful job now but at the end of the day he gets to come home to our little hide-a-way and enjoy the peace it offers. Back to today's events, I looked outside to see what the dogs were barking at and saw this group of turkeys sauntering along in the pasture with the cows.
Then I went outside to weed and after working on the flower bed a bit I stepped back and saw this little guy at my feet. I'm so glad I didn't step on him (I don't know if it's a girl or boy so let's go with him) because I would have come undone if I'd hurt him. JP can testify to my tender heart which sometimes gets me into all kinds of trouble. The pictures aren't great but you'll get the idea. Here he is at my feet.
The phone ringing called me inside and when I went back outside the little guy was gone. Then I heard this bluebird chattering it up at the youngun' in the back yard. So I got a picture of him sitting there receiving much instruction from one of his parents. They would fly over and then sit on either the bird feeder or power pole brace line (what's the name for that thing?) and encourage him. You can just see a blue dot in this picture.
This is the fly over.

Oh, as I walked out to the garden I found this big turkey feather. So cool.

At the close of this post I want to say "Thank you and I love you" to JP for working so hard and being just the best hubby a gal could want. If I started counting all of the ways God has blessed me it would take me forever. That's a great way to spend my days, don't you think? Blessings from the holler yall.

Birdtastic update: I later went outside to see if I could find Blueboy (yes, I named him) and sure enough I heard squawking coming from the trees along the "dog yard." So, I went in their area and started looking for him. I found him sitting beside the fence so I picked him up, ducked mom and sent him over the fence to try again. It's a good thing Charlie was the only one out with me because I can throw a stick and he'll be gone (which is what I did), if Scrappy, (local felon) had been out he'd be another one of her trophies. Whew, Blueboy dodged another bullet. You probably think that I do nothing all day. Well today I put some maters, took the trash to the local trash dumping place, did the floors and some gardening. Tomorrow's another day!

7 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

What a sweet post!

Sierra Rose said...

Yes, you are blessed! What a beautiful property and great loves you have. We all need to be thankful everyday for some of those wonderful things in our lives.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and her mom

1000 Goldens said...

Hello, we found you through YD, Sammie & June. Your sweet and grateful outlook is wonderful and I love the photo of the fly over - Wow!

Lea Munley said...

great pics! i would love to see cattle out my window! -Lea & Riley the speckled mutt
visit us at http://rileysdogblog.blogspot.com

cowgirl said...

How beautiful Mrs. JP!
You certainly are blessed. :)

Lena said...

Awwww.....you didn't do nothing all day - you saved little Blueboy! :-)
I'm happy for you to have JP at home more. Maybe we'll even see some more JP bloggings?

All the best from SC,

Lena and Kane

Paula said...

Whew! I'm glad you were there to help little Blueboy out! If not... well, we won't go there. I had to chuckle at what you said about "you probably think I do nothing all day"... I told someone not too long ago about watching baby birds and they said, "is that all you do all day?" HRRRUMPH!