Friday, February 8, 2013

It's not much but we're trying!...


As you can tell from the calendar these pictures were taken in January and with good intent to come straight in here to the computer and put them on the blog.  Alas, life just got right in the way plus I am such a procrastinator.  Anyway, this is a picture of a potholder I made and the flowers are from our 28th anniversary.  But back to the potholder.  I was inspired by my aunt who lives in Florida.  She is the one who taught me to quilt long ago and this year for Christmas she sent my mother a lovely potholder like this one.  Hers was done in beautiful reds and greens and is a true work of art.  It captured my crafters heart and I called her a couple of times to make sure I was on the right path.  I must say that her star points were going in all the right directions,,,not like mine which seem to wander, but this was done without a pattern so I am giving myself some slack and going to enjoy it.


Another thing that I've done which has brought me hours and hours of delight is made this porch bird feeder. I took an old window box feeder that I had and drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage because it still gets rain there. Then I cut some evergreen boughs to pad the bottom and make it "bird friendly," added rocks for my two little trays to sit on and then drilled holes in the trays so they would drain as well.  The birds just love it.  The wooden barrels give them a place to perch and munch.  We've attracted mostly small birds like Chickadees, Wrens, Tufted Titmouse, Finches, and a dove or two when it's really really cold. But I saw this idea in a Birding magazine I get and it's been a winner and so easy to do.


Other than upper respiratory infections, which we both have, JP and I are doing great.  We are blessed beyond measure and more than we deserve by our Lord Jesus Christ.  So, blessings to you all from the holler...

5 comments:

nancy huggins said...

Love the little bird feeder and will be making 1 when we get moved and you did a great job on the pot holder..Happy anniversary too..love your blog but very hard to copy the letters to post it sometimes :)
Hugs
Nancy

Maxmom said...

Hey there Mrs JP,
I love your potholder! You should be proud... I've been searching my soul for inspiration too, but seem to be stuck. Your ideas are heart-warming. Wish I was closer - you could teach me how to make that beautiful potholder. Get well soon - both of you!
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Hi long time no see from either of us...Good to see you here!
I love the bird feeder idea...I would love to do something like that but all the barn kittys would have a feast I'm afraid...so i have to put mine up very high for the birds...

Great job on the pot holder especially with no pattern.

Hope yourhealth has been good and you are doing well.

Hugs
Tonya

cowgirl said...

Great to see you posting again! Hope all is well in the holler.

Paula said...

Well, don't feel bad~ life has been happening around here too and that means not much (if any!) computer time.
LOVE the quilted potholder! Those colors are fabulous.... and the feeder is perfect! I hope you put it somewhere so you can watch them eat~ I love to see my birdies fly in for breakfast, lunch, and supper. :)
Sorry you two have been under the weather... it's been going around here too. *ugh*
Take care... ((HUGS))